Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Favorite Sandwiches: Part 2

Today’s sandwich comes from the ass-backwards suburb of Lilydale, Minnesota (pop 552). According to Wikipedia, the population is 95% white, so I guess the moniker is fitting. I would normally never go to such a loser-y town, but it’s right by my work and is home to a great Italian deli, which is home to an even greater sandwich.

Behold! The North Beach sandwich from Buon Giorno. Now, someone told me that there are two restaurants named Buon Giorno, so make sure you don’t go to the other one because it probably blows. This delicacy is a delightful mélange of turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, aioli, and fontina cheese on a fresh roll. It’s not as greasy as the Caffrey’s veggie, but be warned that one ‘wich is the size of a premature baby. I don’t think I could eat a whole premature baby, but sometimes I can eat a whole North Beach if I’m really hungry.

I must note that right down the road from Buon Giorno is a gay cruising spot that my co-worker discovered one fine day while exploring the wilds of Lilydale. Nothing like a breezy summer day with a tasty sandwich, watching gay men giving each other secret signals and then walking into the woods, hand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment